Project Evident Job Opportunity
Project Evident is finalizing an ambitious proof of concept phase to develop, demonstrate and plan the future of a shared services platform for continuous evidence building in the social sector. As such, we are building upon the founding team to implement a strong strategic plan, deliver results against project milestones and contribute to the culture and success of Project Evident and the nonprofits, funders and communities we endeavor to support.
Over the next two years Project Evident will expand services and deliver services to nonprofit organizations, develop tools for a shared resources platform, and incubate a learning agenda for funders and other key stakeholders. Ultimately our efforts will strengthen the evidence ecosystem and pipeline for follow on funding, pay for success opportunities and for rigorous third party evaluation.
At the heart of our work is a belief in strong communities and a shared commitment to support the leaders of effective social innovation with evidence building to improve practice. Their questions, well answered, will inform policy and scale knowledge and learning in line with business and operating realities. Funders, data and technology firms, and researchers play vitally important roles in fueling and supporting efforts to improve, build evidence, and scale. Project Evident engages these stakeholders in strengthening the larger evidence ecosystem.
Project Evident intends to build a culture reflective of our work as co-creators and collaborators of evidence that strengthens nonprofits, informs the field and improves the communities we all serve. We are looking for people who actively demonstrate/practice the following principles:
- Seek Partnership – we may bring expertise but we are not the experts, we are all co-learners and co-developers. Actively seeking to bring positive energy, build trust & combine with our team and our partners proving a concept is not possible without co-creation. It’s not track (personal best) it’s soccer (stretch the field).
- Check Yourself – acknowledge and actively manage bias, context, self-image and challenges and be transparent to your team and partners. Ask for help. Be authentic.
- Add Value, Own the Outcome – regardless of role or position, do what it takes to speak up, engage and advance the work. Make good.
- Listen, Learn & Follow Up Rapidly – there is no other way to be a trusted advisor.
- Consistently SWAP –
- Smart - as in find the smart solution, not be the smartest person in the room
- Warm - be positive, empathic and caring about the challenges to be addresses
- Approachable - be accessible, open and helpful, generous with time and ideas
- Productive - set goals, clarify roles, do what we say we are going to do, on time, follow up quickly.
Position Summary - Communications Specialist
The Communications Specialist reports to the Managing Partner. Given the stage and speed of Project Evident’s trajectory, this role requires a hands-on entrepreneurial communications professional able to shift frequently between strategic, advisory, project management and tactical operations. The Communications Specialist will provide strategic and tactical guidance on Project Evident communications, thought leadership and field building and be responsible for content creation, product and editorial calendar consistent with brand and strategic goals. Comfort with/experience in a start-up, virtual environment, commitment to a performance-driven and collaborative culture and knowledge of nonprofit communications and evaluation are essential to this role.
The position is temporary, part-time for six months (with the opportunity to become full-time), based in Boston and will report to a Partner.
- Execute on Project Evident’s strategic communications plan in collaboration with leadership, consultants and project teams. Work with the management team to update the plan, including key messages and deliverables, to map communications activities to strategic business goals and team capacity.
- Drive awareness about Project Evident’s mission and initiatives in relevant media channels, including print, digital and social media.
- Build and maintain productive relationships with members of the media and nonprofit industry partners and social influencers.
- Utilize knowledge of industry trends affecting Project Evident, and leverage to drive news cycles
- Develop and manage a content calendar that is aligned with goals and milestones outlined in the strategic communications plan.
- Ensure that high standards of editorial quality are maintained in all communication deliverables, and that content is aligned with strategic objectives and brand goals.
- Conceptualize and produce content for external communications across multiple platforms and audiences, working collaboratively with project teams to ensure alignment of key messages, including:
- Reports and case studies for print and web publication
- Weekly blog posts
- Email newsletters and press releases
- Fact sheets and information graphics
- Conference presentations
- Content for social media campaig ns
- Develop and implement online engagement strategies and social media campaigns with influencers. Support the delivery of interactive digital communications, including webinars.
- Ensure organization-wide adherence to brand; be a resource to the team on correct brand use. Appreciate and enhance good design.
- Advise and support senior level communication needs
- Source and manage external vendors, when necessary, including writers, copy editors, and designers.
- Evaluate and report on effectiveness of communications initiatives (using surveys, Google Analytics, and other tools).
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
We are looking for candidates that have:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with a proven ability to write and copy edit clear and concise narratives and presentations.
- High level of competence in portraying complex content in a clear, concise, and compelling manner. Data visualization and design skills are a plus.
- Understanding of nonprofit evaluation and performance management disciplines from multiple audience perspectives.
- Strong industry relationships with media, analysts and other influencers
- Digital marketing & publishing operations experience, including hands-on experience making updates to websites, posting to social media, sending broadcast emails.
- Knowledge of and direct experience with digital publishing tools, including Twitter, LinkedIn, Hootsuite, MailChimp and content management systems.
- Experience with analytics tools and reporting across digital channels; understanding of Google Analytics reporting.
- Experience working with web developers; managing vendors and consultants.
- Familiarity with group collaboration tools (we use Slack, Google Team Drive, Zoom) or willingness to learn.
- Comfortable in startup environment with fast deadlines.
- Commitment to learning, performance.
- Ability to commit to full 6 month duration of engagement.
Education and Experience
- 3-5 years of experience executing external communications for research, data, social policy, nonprofits/foundations (agency/consulting experience included, must have significant experience in managing operations).
- Knowledge of the nonprofit/philanthropic media space; ideally will have contacts in media organizations.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, PR, marketing or related field.
- Experience working effectively with multiple stakeholders who may have evolving priorities. Ability to interface with diverse staff and partners in various domains.
- Requires sitting, talking and listening for up to 8 hours per day. Certain situations may require lifting items up to 20 pounds. Position requires the ability to travel by car or plane for any local and national travel.
- Initially 25+ a week for six months with potential for Full Time. Based in Boston with ability to work with a virtual team.
Project Evident, a project of Tides Center, is an “at-will” and equal opportunity employer. Applicants and employees shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender (including pregnancy and gender expression) identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law or ordinance.
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process.
Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com