Funders play a critical role in promoting a culture of learning and evidence building in the social sector—not just for themselves, their evaluators, and their grantees, but also for the communities that will bene t from programs with stronger outcomes.
Kelly Fitzsimmons outlines five opportunities for funders in a chapter she wrote for the book What Matters: Investing in Results to Build Strong, Vibrant Communities.
- Invite and support grantees to lead.
- Move from judgement to development.
- Don't stop at research: support learning and implementation.
- Ask for and fund outcomes.
- Embrace data and technology.