Great resources and ideas from around the web, updated weekly.
- How Georgia State University Used an Algorithm to Help Students Navigate the Road to College via HBR (h/t Kresge Foundation for Education): At GSU, outreach driven by artificial intelligence reduced “summer melt” by 21% and required fewer staff than previous interventions.
- Is Feminist Data Visualization Actually a Thing? (Yes, and How!) via Heather Krause in a guest post on the Evergreen Data blog: “Data collection, analysis, and visualization are not neutral,” and this post offers ways to make data visualization more inclusive.
- Canary in a Coal Mine? SAMHSA’s Clearinghouse Signals Larger Threat to Evidence-based Policy via Social Innovation Research Center: Apparent flaws at one of the federal government’s top research clearinghouses may reflect broader challenges with evidence reviews.
- Our Opportunity for More Data-Driven Nonprofit Program Evaluation via SSIR: Giving nonprofits access to the services of new “data labs” can help us use administrative data efficiently to understand social impact while maintaining data security.
- Prioritizing Values For Better Outcomes, Better Lives via CEP (h/t Raikes Foundation): The Executive Director of UTEC says that funders who seek to deeply understand those they wish to help have a lot in common with high-performing direct service agencies.